Updated 12/11 – hours and general information about the Penzeys Spices Portland store, and with information about Pearl District and Beaverton stores!
I spent a happy hour this week checking out the new Penzeys Spices store in Clackamas. It actually isn’t too hard to find, just north of the mall on 82nd, between TJ Max and Winco at 11322 SE 82nd ave. Google Map. In the past, I have bemoaned the fact that I had to go to Seattle to find a good spice store.
Things I like:
- They have tons of stuff. If you haven’t ever gotten a Penzys catalog before you’ll enjoy wandering around and reading the detailed signs on each spice. You don’t go and pick out cinnamon or pepper, you pick between multiple types with different characteristics. Cinnamon? Seven types. Each spice is available from different countries. Not only that, they have many of the hard to find Mexican, Indian, Pakistani spices. I bought a few things just because I’ve never tasted them outside of a dish.
- Lots of sizes – pre-ground spices have a shelf life of maybe a year or two, so it is best to buy small bottles of things you don’t use often. They have from small size to bulk.
- Tasters – Almost everything is available in large glass jars that you can stick your nose in to compare varieties as well as taste. This is an education in itself.
- Prices – About ½ what you would pay in the grocery store. Now that you can get them without doing the mail order thing, you save on shipping too.
- Staff is well versed and friendly.
Things I don’t like:
- Nothing organic. Most spices are never available organic, but some are. Not here. (Still true as of 6/10)
- Not everything is of the highest quality though generally they do a good job. I did compare between what I purchased today and what I already had at home. Most of the Penzeys stuff was better, even accounting for the age difference. Just smell/taste before you buy.
- It would be nice if the store was downtown, but with their prices I understand the need to keep overhead low. The store had a good amount of customers while I was there.
- Website: Penzeys.com
Portland, OR-Downtown Pearl District
- 120 NW 10th Ave
- (503) 227-6777
- View Map
- Beaverton Town Square
- 11787 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy
- (503) 643-7430
- View Map
- Portland, OR
- 11322 SE 82nd Ave
- (503) 653-7779
- View Map