This survey question was for “Best Bar – Excluding Food”. Last year Teardrop Lounge was knocked off of its perch by Beaker & Flask, but it has regained its footing by a healthy margin. The Rum Club made a great showing for a new business.
686 votes were cast:
1. Teardrop Lounge – 12% of the total vote. 1015 NW Everett St., Portland, OR 97209. Map (503) 445-8019
2. Rum Club – 9.3%. 720 SE Sandy Blvd., Portland, OR 97214. Map
3. Beaker & Flask – 8.7%. 727 Southeast Washington Street Portland, OR 97214. Map (503) 235-8180
4. Clyde Common – 5.8%. 1014 Southwest Stark Street Portland, OR 97205. Map (503) 228-3333
5. Mint/820 – 3.2%. 816 North Russell Street Portland, OR 97227. Map (503) 284-5518
6. Secret Society – 2.9%. 116 Northeast Russell Street Portland, OR 97212. Map (503) 493-3600
7. Kask 20 2.9%. 1215 Southwest Alder Street Portland, OR 97205. Map (503) 241-7163
8. Interuban – 1.8%. 4057 North Mississippi Ave., Portland, OR 97227. Map (503) 284-6669
9. Kir Wine Bar – 1.8%. 22 Northeast 7th Avenue Portland, OR 97232. Map (503) 232-3063
My favorite – Teardrop Lounge. My last few visits have been excellent. 2nd, Beaker & Flask. Not a fan of Rum Club. That being said, on sunny afternoons I will drop by 820 to sit on their excellent patio. Secret Society is a good place to take friends, and Kir Wine Bar is my favorite place to get a nice glass of wine. Geeze, I sound like a lush.
You can see all the Reader Survey 2012 winners here.
View Reader Survey 2012: Best BarUntitled in a larger map
Beaker would be my pick. Strong cocktails, decent wine program and the food is very good (even with the departure of Ben Bettinger). Rum Club is more of a later night spot and therefore it’s utility is a lot less (to me anyways). I like Teardrop a lot but it can be a little too scene driven sometimes for my tastes. Kask is fun unless you have to sit in the chairs that are only 1 foot tall.
I’m pretty surprised that The Driftwood Room didn’t get any accolades. Mike is by far the best cocktail palate and mixologist I have encountered in PDX to date!!!
David Harding says
While I agree that many of the bars listed are amazing, and I frequent several of them, the best is the Driftwood Room, and it didn’t even get a mention. Not a very good list, unless you are catering only to the hipster crowd….
Food Dude – what’s the reason for not being a fan of Rum Club. With the ‘Bones’ PR you said you’ve been, you liked it & now you don’t.
Food Dude says
I tend to like places where I can carry on a conversation. Every time I’ve been there the volume has been so loud we had to yell. I thought the drinks were just… ok.