Where do we like to buy our meat? At least 400 people didn’t vote at all, so I’m thinking quite a few just pick up their chops at a grocery store such as Safeway – they don’t know what they’re. But those who visit the butchery definitely have strong opinions. Here are the results of the survey question, who is the best butcher in Portland.
628 responses to this question:
1. Chop Butchery – 25.5% of the total vote
- 735 Northwest 21st Avenue Portland, OR 97210 Map (503) 221-3012
- 3808 North Williams, Suite #, Portland OR 97212 Map (503) 288-1901
2. Laurelhurst Market – 20.7%. 3155 East Burnside Street Portland, OR 97214 Map (503) 206-3097
3. Gartner’s Country Meat Market – 14%. 7450 Northeast Killingsworth Street Portland, OR 97218 Map (503) 252-7801
4. New Seasons Market – 7%.
- 5320 Northeast 33rd Avenue, Portland, OR 97211 Map (503) 292-1987
- 4034 Southeast Hawthorne Boulevard, Portland, OR 97214 Map (503) 236-4800
- 6400 North Interstate Avenue, Portland, OR 97217 Map (503) 467-4777
- 1954 Southeast Division Street, Portland, OR 97202 Map (503) 445-2888
- 1214 SE Tacoma St., Portland OR. 97202 Map (503) 2130-4949
- 3 Monroe Pkwy, Lake Oswego, OR. 97035 Map (503) 496-1155
- 3495 Cedar Hills Blvd, Portland OR 97225 Map (503) 641-4181
5. Olympia Provisions – 6.7%
- 107 Southeast Washington Street Portland, OR 97214 Map (503) 954-3663.
- 1632 NW Thurman St. Portland, OR 97209 Map (503) 894-8136
6. City Market/Pastaworks – 5%
- 3735 SE Hawthorne Blvd., Portland 97214. Map (503) 232-1010
- 735 Northwest 21st Ave., Portland OR. 97209 Map (503) 221-3002
- 4212 North Mississippi Ave, Portland OR 97217 Map (503) 445-1303
7. Phil’s Meat Market – 4.5%. 17 NW 23rd Place, Portland, OR. 97209 Map (503) 224-9541
8. Sheridan Fruit Company – 3.2%. 409 S.E. MLK Jr. Blvd, Portland OR. 97214 Map (503) 236-2114
9. Whole Foods Market – 1.9%. 7 Portland area locations – see website.
- 1210 NW Couch St., Portland OR. 97209 Map (503) 525-4343
- 2825 E Burnside St., Portland OR. 97205 Map (503) 232-6601
- 3535 NE 15th Ave., Portland OR. 97212 Map (503) 288-2414
- 4301 NE Sandy Blvd., Portland OR. 97213 Map (503) 284-2644
- 19440 NW Cornell Rd., Hillsboro, OR. 97006 Map (503) 645-9200
- 815 SE 160th Ave., Vancouver WA. 98683 Map (360) 253-4082
- 7380 SW Bridgeport Rd, Tigard OR. Map (503) 639-6500
10. Zupan’s Market – 1.6%
View Reader Survey 2012: Best Butcher in a larger map
Wow, OP got almost 7% of the vote without actually being a butchery/butcher shop. ..
I always follow your annual survey with interest but I’ve always wondered one thing about the voting in some categories. Do people vote locally?
I live pretty much equal distance from two New Seasons and Whole Foods markets and a Costco. When I buy meat its from New Seasons or Costco. Should my vote be weighted more than someone that lives close to only a New Seasons (and voted for New Seasons) and would have to drive out of their normal shopping area to purchase meat from a Whole Foods.
A more extreme example would be if I purchased my meat at Gartner’s as I live in the Beaverton-Aloha Area.
I’m not saying that my vote is worth more than anyone else I just have wondered from a statistical standpoint if the voters zip code was weighted in the determination of “Best” whatever if the results would change significantly.
Keep up the good work.
Live To Eat says
I live walking distance to New Seasons, Whole Foods,Trader Joes, QFC, and Fred Meyer. When we make steak, or even hamburgers there is no skimping on quality. We consistently get good meat at New Seasons and Laurelhurst Market, and have been disappointed with all of the others I mentioned.
Food Dude says
I think the vote should be what you think is the best vendor, not who is closest. Personally, I will drive quite a way to get the best fish/meat/wine… it’s worth it to me. I have a feeling many other food obsessed people do the same thing.
However, in answer to your question, no, I don’t even ask for zip code. It is hard enough to sort and calculate all the answers as it is!
Not in Portland proper but the WB market in Oregon City has amazing beef for dirt cheap! It is a little hole in the wall mom and pop market.
The steaks melt in your mouth.