Where do we go to get our fish? The top four choices received the bulk of the votes, but the number one answer had a clear majority. New Seasons also did quite well, moving up from previous years. I’ve never heard of Flying Fish Company – it sounds like I need to pay them a visit. I always get my fish at Newman’s.
Out of 482 total votes:
1. Newman’s Fish Market – 30% of the vote. 735 NW 21st Ave., Portland. 97209 Map (503) 227-2700
2. New Seasons Market – 15%.
- 5320 Northeast 33rd Avenue, Portland, OR 97211 Map (503) 292-1987
- 4034 Southeast Hawthorne Boulevard, Portland, OR 97214 Map (503) 236-4800
- 6400 North Interstate Avenue, Portland, OR 97217 Map (503) 467-4777
- 1954 Southeast Division Street, Portland, OR 97202 Map (503) 445-2888
- 1214 SE Tacoma St., Portland OR. 97202 Map (503) 2130-4949
- 3 Monroe Pkwy, Lake Oswego, OR. 97035 Map (503) 496-1155
- 3495 Cedar Hills Blvd, Portland OR 97225 Map (503) 641-4181
3. Flying Fish Company– 14%. 2310 Southeast Hawthorne Boulevard Portland, OR 97214 Map (503) 260-6552
4. Whole Foods Market – 10%.
- 1210 NW Couch St., Portland OR. 97209 Map (503) 525-4343
- 2825 E Burnside St., Portland OR. 97205 Map (503) 232-6601
- 3535 NE 15th Ave., Portland OR. 97212 Map (503) 288-2414
- 4301 NE Sandy Blvd., Portland OR. 97213 Map (503) 284-2644
- 19440 NW Cornell Rd., Hillsboro, OR. 97006 Map (503) 645-9200
- 815 SE 160th Ave., Vancouver WA. 98683 Map (360) 253-4082
- 7380 SW Bridgeport Rd, Tigard OR. 97224 Map (503) 639-6500
5. Uwajimaya – 6%. 10500 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy., Beaverton OR. 97005 Map (503) 643-4512
6. ABC Seafood Market– 4.6%. 6509 Southeast Powell Boulevard Portland, OR 97206 Map (503) 771-5802
7a. Mio Seafood Market – 3%. 1703 Northwest 16th Avenue Portland, OR 97209 Map (503) 972-1140
7.b Portland Farmers Market – 3%. See website for latest days/hours/locations
7.c Zupan’s Market – 3%
View 2012 Reader Survey: Best Place to Buy Fish in a larger map
Sign up for his weekly e-mails and you get to know what is coming in. Had a fantastic piece of black cod a few weeks ago…
These results just reinforce the fact that we really need more and better fishmongers in Portland.
I fully expect Flying Fish to move up the list as more people get looped in. The quality, prices, and selection are pretty unbeatable.
Flying Fish and Cabezon are by far the best, and ABC the “most important”, meaning best, cheapest, freshest but with limited selection of mostly crustaceans and limited live fish selection. But the best over all! Flying Fish and Cabezon have the best Euro-centric selection, if dead…. but at least very very fresh!
Portland is getting better for fish, finally, as fish is the new pork belly.
And new seasons, really? I’ve yet to get a fresh piece of fish from this chain, and the selection and pricing is absurd :-/
Plus, I can’t take any “fish counter” seriously when they have ethical reasons to not offer live lobster or other crustaceans. Either do or do not pretend to be a specialty source for fresh FOOD. Posing as one then not offering live produce / food is embarrassing and ill informed. IMO of course ;-P