The results have shuffled in the 2013 vote for Best Beer Bar in Portland Oregon. When I was in college, a nearby restaurant which went by the unfortunate nickname of “The Refectory” which was immediately renamed “The Rat Factory” by students – for good reason, had a list of 150 beers (I think that was the number). When I turned 21 I managed to make it through the list in six weeks. As I recall, they put my name on a plaque. Apex has vaulted over the competition to take the top spot. For obvious reasons, much of my college years are hazy.
Let’s face it: Portland has some great bars. Maybe next year I should do a Best Dive Bar.
Out of 739 votes:
- Apex Bar 15% – 1216 SE Division St. Portland 97202. Map 50 beers on tap(!)
- Horse Brass Pub 12% 4534 Southeast Belmont Street Portland, OR 97215 Map (503) 232-2202. Featured in Esquire “one of the best bars in America”, All About Beer Magazine “#7 of the 125 places to have a drink in the world before you die”.
- Saraveza Bottle Shop & Pasty Tavern 10% of the vote. 1004 North Killingsworth Street Portland, OR 97217 Map (503) 206-4252. Second Mondays is Free Bacon Night. I’m there. Draft Magazine voted “One of America’s Best Beer Bars”: 2011, 2013 and 2013. (Apologies for writing “Best Bear Bars” on the first draft. I swear it was a typo (though I’m sure “bears” are welcome.
- Bailey’s Taproom 7% – 213 SW Broadway Portland, OR 97205 Map (503) 295-1004. “24 constantly rotating taps encompassing the entire range of beer styles with an emphasis on Oregon breweries”.
- Prost! 6.5% – 4237 North Mississippi Avenue Portland, OR 97217 Map (503) 954-2674 A destination if you are a fan of German beers: “Each bier, imported from Germany, is poured properly into its appropriate glass, fulfilling German tradition and guaranteeing great taste.” They usually have 10 on tap, 15 by bottle.
Except you also misspelled ‘Saraveza’!
Food Dude says
For the second year in a row ;)