The Best Vietnamese food in Portland? Everyone seems to have an opinion
It wasn’t until writing up these results that I realized my consumption of Vietnamese food this year is zero. I’m not sure why, as I like the cuisine, especially a bowl of pho on cold afternoons. Without a conscious decision, I’ve been drawn towards ramen instead. I will have to remedy this oversite in 2018. Here are the results of your votes for the best Vietnamese restaurant in Portland.
702 of you have a preference:
1. HA & VL Sandwich/Rose VL Deli
- Huge following for their homemade Vietnamese soups/Pho. The kitchen specializes in two soup specials a day, and I’ve always found both to be very good. Incredibly popular, the restaurant tends to run out, and you’ll need to settle with smoothies or Bahn Mi. You can also see what is available at sister restaurant, Rose VL Deli, which opens at 4 pm with more soup.
- HA & VL: 2738 SE 82nd Ave # 102, Portland, OR 97266 Map (503) 772-0103
- Rose VL: 6424 SE Powell Blvd, Portland, OR 97206 Map
- A wide-ranging menu of Vietnamese food, including a variety of Pho, Bahn Mi, rice plates and vermicelli bowls. I would call this Vietnamese for beginners. It is very popular with the downtown lunch crowd.
- 835 SW 2nd Ave, Portland, OR 97204 Map (503) 222-0047
3. Pho Van
- Big bowls of Pho and other traditional Vietnamese foods. No longer the darling of the critics, but Pho Van still satisfies the masses.
- 1919 SE 82nd Ave, Portland, OR 97216 Map (503) 788-5244
- 11651 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy., Beaverton OR. 97005 Map (503)627-0822
- Pho Van Fresh (previously Silk) – 1012 NW Glisan St, Portland, OR 97209 Map (503) 248-2172
4. Pho Oregon
- No frills, utilitarian restaurant, the specialty of the house is Pho, but they also have other traditional dishes – over 60 of them.
- 2518 NE 82nd Ave, Portland, OR 97220 Map (503) 262-8816
5. Pho Hung
- It’s all about Pho. Very popular, you’ll frequently find a bit of a line.
- 3120 SE 82nd Ave, Portland, OR 97266 Map (503) 772-0089
- Vietnamese with Laos and French Colonial Vietnam influences. A large menu of classics such as salad rolls, skewers, spring rolls, soups, salads, noodles and more. Popular, draws a crowd, especially on sunny afternoons.
- 7912 SE 13th Ave, Portland (Sellwood), OR 97202 Map (503) 477-8985
- Specializes in a large number of Asian sandwiches and bubble tea.
- 8308 SE Powell Blvd, Portland, OR 97266 Map (503) 788-3098
- 3635 SW Hall Blvd, Beaverton, OR 97005 Map (503) 626-2288
8. Vivi’s Vietnamese Noodle House (Hillsboro)
- 1035 NE 25th Ave, Hillsboro, OR 97124 Map (503) 648-2300
9. Fish Sauce
- Fish Sauce has reopened after a fire early this year. The restaurant has a large group of followers in the NW Portland area. Broad menu, and slightly more upscale than most of the restaurants on this list.
- 407 NW 17th Ave, Portland, OR 97209 Map (503) 227-8000
10. Mekha Grill
- A bit different than other restaurants in this list, Mekha’s specialty is food from the grill – beef short ribs, caramelized quail or chicken wings, etc. Pho lovers aren’t left out – 9 different variations are available.
- 4912 SE Division St, Portland, OR 97206 Map (503) 719-7366
- 2015: Luc Lac Vietnamese Kitchen, Pho Van, Ha & VL, Pho Hung, Pho Oregon, Fish Sauce, Jade Bistro, Silk, Best Baguette, Pho Dalat
- 2012: Pho Van, HA & VL, Luc Lac Vietnamese Kitchen, Pho Hung, Pho An Sandy, Pho Oregon, Jade Bistro Teahouse, Pho Jasmine, Tan Tan Cafe & Deli, LeLa’s Bistro
- 2013: Pho Van, Luc Lac Vietnamese Kitchen, HA & VL, Pho Oregon, Pho Hung
- 2011: Pho Van, Silk, HA & VL