Last year the survey order was Autentica, Por Que No & Nuestra Cocina. This year things swapped around, with a new restaurant in the mix. Though the category received 1096 votes, the lower-ranked restaurants individually received more votes. This dilutes the pool a bit, and shows that we have more of what PFD readers consider “good” Mexican food.
With the addition of Corazon, Mextiza (same owner as Autentica) and Mi Mero Mole to the mix, the competition will only get stronger. As it is, Mi Mero Mole, a relatively new restaurant, came out of nowhere to fall only two tenths of a point behind well-established 3rd place ¿Por Que No? That’s a great showing for a new business in a city where there is so much passion for this type of food. Mi Mero took some votes from both Autentica and ¿Por Que No?, which has affected their ranking. Overall, it is good to see some of these restaurants on the list – it gives me hope for Mexican food in Portland.
1096 votes were cast:
- 3524 North Mississippi Ave, Portland, OR. 97227 Map (503) 467-4149
- 4635 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland, OR. 97215 Map (503) 954-3138
7. Cha Cha Cha – 3.1% of the vote
- 4727 NE Fremont, Portland OR. 97213 Map (503) 595-9131
- 3808 N. Williams, Portland OR. 97227 Map (503) 281-1655
- 1208 NW Glisan, Portland OR. 97209 Map (503) 221-2111
- 2635 NE Broadway, Portland OR. 97232 Map (503) 288-1045
- 3433 SE Hawthorne, Portland OR. 97214 Map (503) 236-1100
- 1605 SE Bybee Blvd, Portland OR. 97202 Map (503) 232-0437
- 11008 SE Main, Portland OR. 97222 Map (503) 659-2193
- 305 NW 21st Ave., Portland OR. 97209 Map (503) 295-4077
8a. (tie) Fonda Rosa – 2.1%. 108 Northeast 28th Avenue Portland, OR 97232 Map (503) 235-3828
10. Tienda Santa Cruz- 1.8% 8630 North Lombard Street Portland, OR 97203 Map (503) 289-2005
View Reader Survey 2012: Best Mexican Food in Portland in a larger map
*I emailed Nuestra Cocina for a photo, but once again they never responded. I’m wondering if they even read their email.