The results have shuffled in the 2013 vote for Best Beer Bar in Portland Oregon. When I was in college, a nearby restaurant which went by the unfortunate nickname of “The Refectory” which was immediately renamed “The Rat Factory” by students – for good reason, had a list of 150 beers (I think that was the number). When I turned 21 I managed to make it through the list in six weeks. As I recall, they put my name on a plaque. Apex has vaulted over the competition to take the top spot. For obvious reasons, much of my college years are hazy.
Let’s face it: Portland has some great bars. Maybe next year I should do a Best Dive Bar.
Out of 739 votes:
- Apex Bar 15% – 1216 SE Division St. Portland 97202. Map 50 beers on tap(!)
- Horse Brass Pub 12% 4534 Southeast Belmont Street Portland, OR 97215 Map (503) 232-2202. Featured in Esquire “one of the best bars in America”, All About Beer Magazine “#7 of the 125 places to have a drink in the world before you die”.
- Saraveza Bottle Shop & Pasty Tavern 10% of the vote. 1004 North Killingsworth Street Portland, OR 97217 Map (503) 206-4252. Second Mondays is Free Bacon Night. I’m there. Draft Magazine voted “One of America’s Best Beer Bars”: 2011, 2013 and 2013. (Apologies for writing “Best Bear Bars” on the first draft. I swear it was a typo (though I’m sure “bears” are welcome.
- Bailey’s Taproom 7% - 213 SW Broadway Portland, OR 97205 Map (503) 295-1004. “24 constantly rotating taps encompassing the entire range of beer styles with an emphasis on Oregon breweries”.
- Prost! 6.5% - 4237 North Mississippi Avenue Portland, OR 97217 Map (503) 954-2674 A destination if you are a fan of German beers: “Each bier, imported from Germany, is poured properly into its appropriate glass, fulfilling German tradition and guaranteeing great taste.” They usually have 10 on tap, 15 by bottle.