Back in April of 2013, Bluehour bartender Steven Grimm was seriously burned and hospitalized after a fire. At the time, owner Bruce Carey said, “Last evening at around 9:00 pm there was an accidental fire at Bluehour. Our bartender Steve Grimm has been treated at a local hospital and he is expected to return home today. The fire was the result of a high proof alcohol that inadvertently ignited while preparing a cocktail. We are grateful to our amazing staff for acting so quickly and efficiently. We are working diligently to put the bar back in full operation. We will be closed for lunch today, Friday, but fully expect to be open in time for happy hour at 4:30 PM. We regret that our guests’ evenings were interrupted by this accident, but thankful everyone is okay.” [emphasis mine]
It turns out that the bartender doesn’t feel the same way. He is suing for $688,000, saying that the “glass lamp fueled by colored Everclear broke and burst into flames. Defendants had placed the lamp on the bar to “enhance the bar’s atmosphere”.
It will be interesting to hear the outcome of this suit.
Bruce Carey; Ken Giambalvo; L’Heure Bleu LLC dba Bluehour
|Workplace injury. Plaintiff bartender suffered severe burns when a glass lamp fueled by colored Everclear broke and burst into flames. Defendants had placed the lamp on the bar to “enhance the bar’s atmosphere.” $688,000.|
Rachel Schoening says
I keep thinking about this. As a business owner, I’m really upset by it, because it seems as though it was an accident, but, I’d like to think I wouldn’t put my employees in harm’s way like this. Did he express concerns over the candles on the bar & was he ignored? Is he not able to work any longer? What, exactly, does the $688,000 “cover”? I’m assuming the restaurant’s insurance covered medical expenses and lost wages. I just don’t quite understand the mindset here. I’m curious to hear what others think.