Just a reminder that it is Macaron day, a great event to benefit a great organization – Meals on Wheels.
Portland has joined cities around the world in celebrating Macaron Day or Jour du MacarontodayFriday, March 20th. Over a dozen Portland bakeries have jumped in to offer a free macaron to each customer who donates to Meals on Wheels People in their shops on Macaron Day ($2 suggested minimum donation). Some have created a special macaron just for the occasion:
People are encouraged to make Nuvrei their first stop of the day, to pick up a Macaron Day PDX starter kit: a complimentary signature canvas tote bag filled with a map of participating locations and a box to hold their macarons. Two random bags will contain $100 gift certificates to Nuvrei. Pick up a tote and roam the city to celebrate the first annual Macaron Day PDX!
Macaron Day PDX Participating Bakeries (check macarondaypdx.com for updates):
I’ve added the flavors where I’ve been able to find them.
- Baker & Spice Cakery
- Farina Bakery: Bananas Foster, Coconut, Hazelnut, Honey Pecan, Mint Chocolate, Strawberry Ganache, Tiramisu, orange-cardamom
- Frice Pastry
- Ken’s Artisan Bakery
- Maurice: hazelnut + white truffle, coconut + lemon, chicory + kaffe
- Nuvrei: green tea, chamomile honey
- Papa Haydn (2 locations): West: Madras Sunshine–Coconut with curry and cilantro–Papa East: Early Girl–EVO, Basil and Tomato Water
- Pearl Bakery
- Petunia’s Pies & Pastries – Strawberry – vegan versions!
- Pix Pâtisserie: Sherry Almond,Moscato d’Asti, Strawberry Balsamic, Coconut Curry, Cherry, Coconut Rum, Passion Fruit, The Dude (yes, it’s a white Russian!), Smores, Blueberry, Cheesecake, Espresso, Fleur de Sel, Kalamansi Lime, Foie Gras, Maple Bacon, Bourbon, Blue Cheese, Walnut, Honey, Bananas Foster, Tawny Port
- St. Honoré Boulangerie (3 locations)
Customers donate to Meals on Wheels People via branded jars at each shop, and the suggested minimum donation is $2. More information on Macaron Day PDX can be found at www.macarondaypdx.com. Follow along on social media with #MacaronDayPDX
For those who don’t know, “macaroon” and “macaron” are two different things. Take a look at the photo above. Macaroon is the chewy coconut cookie many of us grew up with. Macaron is far more dainty, think an elegant sandwich cookie, available in bright colors and flavors.