John Gorham has announced that in partnership with Ron Avni and Mediterranean Exploration Company executive chef Kasey Mills, they will be opening a new restaurant to the upcoming Pine Street Market. Shalom Y’all will feature Israeli street food, with a focus on vegetarian dishes, salads, and a breakfast focus “revolving around the classic Israeli morning meal: shakshuka”, which is a favorite at Tasty n Sons. They expect the new Pine Street Market to open on April 1, and the new restaurant on April 18th. One interesting mention in the press release, is that the project is backed by “Toro Bravo Inc Restaurant Management and Design Group”. Makes you wonder if we will have some competition with ChefStable.
Announced tenants at the Pine Street Market are:
- Shalom Y’all – see press release below
- Pollo Bravo – also from John Gorham and company, which will feature a standing bar, Spanish tapas, rotisserie chicken and a full cocktail license. Josh Scofield Toro Bravo alumnus Josh Scofield who has been leading the commissary kitchen and charcuterie program behind the four Gorham restaurants will head the restaurant. Pollo Bravo is inspired by Pollo Rico in Barcelona and the many rotisseries in Sevilla and Valencia, the San Miguel Mercado in Madrid and many plates of Chicken Carbon from Josh’s extensive travels throughout Mexico. Pollo Bravo is both a tapas bar serving signature tapas dishes from Toro Bravo and a fast casual concept offering Spanish-style rotisserie chicken to-go.
- Food + Juice from The Country Cat’s Adam and Jackie Sappington, featuring healthy to go items and a 286 square-foot juice bar.
- Salt & Straw – yet another branch of the popular ice cream chain.
- Barista Coffee
- Hopworks Urban Brewery – beer and pretzels
- Olympia Provisions hot dogs
- Common Law which is a European Asian fusion space with 13 seats from Patrick McKee, financed by Langbaan’s Earl Ninsom
- Japanese chain Marukin Ramen will open one of two Portland outposts – the first two in the USA
- Trifecta Bakery from Ken Forkish of Ken’s Artisan Bakery featuring fresh bread and a toast bar and Roman-style pizza
Here is the full press release from the Gorham’s –
New Restaurant Shalom Y’all from Mediterranean Exploration Company Executive Chef Kasey Mills brings Israeli Street Food to the
Pine Street Market
Executive Chef Kasey Mills with partners Ron Avni and John Gorham are bringing another project to the exciting lineup of chefs and artisans in Pine Street Market with an opening date of April 1st, 2016 backed by Toro Bravo Inc Restaurant Management and Design Group.
Kasey Mills is excited to bring more Mediterranean flavors to Portland, with a strong focus on vegetarian dishes such as falafel, hummus and house-made pita, a variety of salads, and a strong breakfast focus revolving around the classic Israeli morning meal: shakshuka. Kasey says:
“It’s a great time to expand our brand, when there is so much love and heart behind our cuisine. The market is like a microcosm of the Portland food scene, and I couldn’t be happier to be a part of it.”
The love of Israeli cuisine runs deep in the familial roots of partner Ron Avni. In the early 1960’s, Ron’s father opened Vered Hagalil in Israel overlooking the sea of Galilee, bringing his love of the American cowboy culture and cuisine to the ranch. The inspiration is now coming back across the sea with the opening of Shalom Y’all.
The bar program curated by MEC’s Jamal Hassan will focus on American Whiskeys combined with the exotic herbs and spices from the region. Look for barrel-aged Arak, Shug and Zater bloody Mary’s, along with a Lebanese and Israeli beer program.
Shalom Ya’ll will offer a snapshot of MEC’s wine list curated by Mindy Cook, featuring Mediterranean coastal wines from Israel, Turkey, Italy and France with lots of rosé and bubbly to complement the brunch offering.
Located along the expansive north brick wall of the market, the space will offer a light and bright esthetic with light wood, white powder-coated finishes. With seating for six at the bar, opening up into the communal dining room the layout lends itself to dining within the bustling market. Designed by John Gorham with his team of local craftsmen, metal and wood workers, Shalom Y’all will be reminiscent of its sister restaurant Mediterranean Exploration Company.
Shalom Y’all will be the 8th operation backed by Toro Bravo Inc. Restaurant Management and Design Group. Gorham’s model of growth from within has proven successful once again with the opening of Shalom Y’all on April 18th, 2016.