Penzys Spices is heading to Portland’s Pearl district.
According to the information I’ve gotten, the new Penzy’s Spices store will be located across from Powells Books on 120 NW 10th street, next door to the space that will be occupied by Little Big Burger.
If you aren’t familiar with Penzys, they are a large spice company, with retail stores in 24 states. They have had a presence in Oregon since 2005 when they opened a store in Clackamas. I wrote about it at the time, and my overall thoughts haven’t changed:
Things I like:
- They have tons of stuff. If you haven’t ever gotten a Penzys catalog before you’ll enjoy wandering around and reading the detailed signs on each spice. You don’t go and pick out cinnamon or pepper, you pick between multiple types with different characteristics. Cinnamon? Seven types. Many of the harder to find Mexican, Indian, Pakistani spices are available.
- Lots of sizes – pre-ground spices have a shelf life of maybe a year or two, so it is best to buy small bottles of things you don’t use often. They have from small size to bulk.
- Tasters – Almost everything is available in large glass jars that you can stick your nose in to compare varieties as well as taste. This is an education in itself.
- Prices – About ½ what you would pay in the grocery store. Now that you can get them without doing the mail order thing, you save on shipping too.
- Staff is well versed and friendly.
Things I don’t like:
- They don’t carry organic spices. Most spices are generally not available organic, but you can find some at places like New Seasons. (Still true as of 6/10)
- Not everything is of the highest quality though they generally do a good job. Comparing between what I purchased and what I already had at home, most of the Penzeys stuff was better, even accounting for the age difference. Just smell/taste before you buy.