The results for this question in our survey have changed a lot from previous years. For the first time, the vote is so lopsided, it is barely worth mentioning any but the first place winner, though I will, as the top choices are all very different from one another.
Perhaps in a sign of the problems that led to the closure, Vindalho, which has always done well in the past, only received four votes.
With a cuisine as regional and complex as Indian food, there is always room for more restaurants, and the restaurant at the top of the list proved that we would support another if it came along.
- 2012: Vindalho (17%), East India Company (16%), Bollywood Theater – 15.5%, Swagat (11%), Channai Masala (9%)…
- 2011: East India Company (17%), Vindalho (16%), Channai Masala (11%)
- Bollywood Theater – 45% of the total vote. 2039 NE Alberta, Portland 97211 Map (971) 200-4711 Indian street food. A second location will open at SE 30th and Division in late 2013. $ Open daily 11 am – 10 pm.
- East India Company – 13%. 821 SW 11th Ave Portland, OR 97205 Map (503) 227-8815 Mostly Northern Indian. Lunch: 11:30am – 2:00 pm, Dinner: 5:00 pm – 9:30 pm. $$$ My review
- Channai Masala (Hillsboro) – 7%. 2088 NW Stucki Ave, Hillsboro, OR 97124 Map (503) 531-9500. South Indian. Tuesday – Sunday 11:30 am – 2 pm & 5:30 pm – 9:30 pm. $
My favorite? This is going to sound like a cop-out, but I like all three. They are all very different from each other, focusing on different areas of India. If I’m in Hillsboro around lunchtime, I always go to Channai Masala. East India Company is more upscale than the other choices, but there has always been of a refined artistry there (though I haven’t been in a year, so don’t know if that is still the case). These days I go to Bollywood more than anywhere else. I like Troy, his food and the overall vibe of the restaurant.