This is one category where things seem to change every year. A fair number of restaurants have fallen off of the list, and the order continues to change. Relative newcomer Mi Mero Mole is making significant gains toward the top spot, eclipsing the percentage of last year’s winner. It looks like their success has been at the expensive of stalwarts Autentica and Nuestra Cocina, both of which have dropped over previous years. Though it was statistically low, Xico showed at 4%, impressive for such a new restaurant. Also new to the list, previous farmers market vendorVerde Cocina, which now has two locations.
Most curious is how more “traditional” Mexican restaurants have been left behind. Other than those on this list, none of them garnered more than 4 votes apiece.
- 2012: Nuestra Cocina – 17%, Autentica – 15%, ¿Por Que No? – 12%, Mi Mero Mole 11%, Mextiza – 5%, La Bonita – 4%
- 2011: Autentica – 21%, ¿Por Que No? – 19%, Nuestra Cocina – 17%.
Of 988 votes cast in 2013:
1. ¿Por Que No? – 18%. My Review
- 3524 North Mississippi Ave, Portland, OR. 97227 Map (503) 467-4149
- 4635 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland, OR. 97215 Map (503) 954-3138
2. Mi Mero Mole– 15%. 5026 SE Division St., Portland, OR. 97215 Map (503) 232-8226
3. Nuestra Cocina – 12% of the vote. 2135 Southeast Division Street Portland, OR 97202 Map (503) 232-2135 My review
4. Mextiza – 7%. 2103 North Killingsworth St., Portland 97217 Map (503) 289-3709
Autentica – 11%. 5507 Northeast 30th Ave., Portland, OR. 97211 Map (503) 287-7555. My review
6. Xico – 4%. 3715 SE Division St., Portland 97202. Map (503) 548-6363
7. Verde Cocina – 3%.
- 524 NW 14th, Portland 97209. Map (503) 894-9321 Map
- 6446 SW Capitol Hwy, Portland 97219. Map (503) 384-2327 Map
It absolutely boggles my mind that 18% of the readers of this site think that Por Que No is the BEST Mexican restaurant in town. If we’d had to rank the top five and Por Que No got there by virtue of appearing on the most lists somewhere (like fourth or fifth) I could see it, but it really saddens me that this many people haven’t explored Portland Food and Drink (actual or this site) enough to find some of the better Mexican food. Of course, not nearly as sad as I’d be if Por Que No actually WAS the best Mexican food in town (*shudders*).
Food Dude says
I think for a lot of people, price/volume plays a big part in this selection. I don’t think por que no is as good as it was back when they just had one location, and don’t go there any more.
I was thinking the same thing…”Por Que No?!” At the top of the list?! Kind of makes me want to revisit there though, just to see. Haven’t been there in years though. Nice to see Mi Mero & Xico moving up.
I’ll take the tacos at Uno Mas over anything I’ve had in Portland. It does get extra points for being so close to my house, however.
The Por Que No lovers must not have been to Uno Mas. I think Por Que No was better years ago, but it’s so hit and miss now. If you want inexpensive quality tacos, nothing beats Uno Mas.
I agree with everyone here, can’t go wrong with trying everything once, how can u choose when there all these types of Mexican food, mmmm I want a taco from each place