Is there a “Best Bread in Portland”?
There are some excellent bakeries that specialize in cakes, pies, pastries and the like, but in many cases their bread is not that great, and vice versa. In the 2015 survey I broke bakeries into two categories – “Best general Bakery”, and Best Bread. The results surprised us and proved the point. This year the difference wasn’t so extreme, and truth be told, in a pinch we wouldn’t be embarrassed to put any of these on our table. For more information on the winners, check our Bakery Roundup here. Less than one point separated Little T and Ken’s Artisan Bakeries, and between them they received 36% of the vote! 907 readers voted for their favorite bread.
1. Little T American Baker
- 2600 Southeast Division St., Portland, OR 97202 Map (503) 238-3458
2. Ken’s Artisan Bakery
- Ken’s Artisan Bakery: 338 NW 21st Ave, Portland, OR 97209 Map (503) 248-2202 My review
- Trifecta Tavern & Bakery: 726 SE 6th Ave, Portland, OR 97214 Map (503) 841-6675
3. Grand Central Baking Co.
- Many locations. See all of them here.
4. Great Harvest Bread Co.
- 810 SW 2nd Ave, Portland, OR 97204 Map (503) 224-8583
- 8926 SE Sunnyside Rd, Clackamas, OR 97015 Map (503) 659-5392
- 2105 NW 185th Ave, Hillsboro, OR 97124 Map (503) 466-1112
5. Pearl Bakery
- 102 NW 9th Ave., Portland, OR 97209 Map (503) 827-0910
6. Tabor Bread
- 5051 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland, OR 97215 Map (971) 279-5530
7. Fleur de Lis Bakery & Cafe
Our choices: we had some amazing bread at Roman Candle a few months ago, and we love Little T, Ken’s Artisan and Tabor Bread.
Gary Scott says
I found this article both inspiring and depressing. Inspiring beacause I love good bread. Depressing because as someone with celiac I can no longer eat these great breads. How about next year you add a category for the best gluton free bread. I’m sure that a lot of people besides me would appreciate it.