I thought it would be interesting this year to break coffee into two categories – Best Coffeehouse and Best Roaster. Stumptown is known for roasting and I thought they would do pretty well in both categories, especially with 5 stores, but that isn’t the case. Let’s look at the results:
752 votes cast:
- 2181 NW Nicolai St., Portland 97210 Map
- 3520 NE 42nd Ave, Portland 97213 Map
- 3808 N Williams Ave, Portland 97227 Map
- 4525 SE Division St., Portland 97206 Map
- 3356 SE Belmont St, Portland 97214 Map
- 128 SW 3rd Ave, Portland 97205 Map
- 3352 SE Belmont St., Portland 97214 Map
- 1026 SW Stark, Portland 97205 Map
The next group all came in within 10 votes of each other. I’m listing them because folks always write and ask:
Last year the votes went Stumptown, Barista, Coffeehouse NW, Heart. Both Ristretto and Barista have a passionate group of followers, but I’m surprised that the votes put them so far above Stumptown. Since many people don’t specify which branch of a chain they like the best, I lumped them together. However, clear favorites were the new Ristretto Nicolai in NW, Barista Alberta in NE and Stumptown on SE Division.
Since people have written asking my opinion, I’m going to start adding my .02. I really like the spaces and feel of Barista Alberta and Ristretto Nicolai. I’ve never been a huge fan of the Stumptown shops, but do go to the Ace Hotel and 3rd street branches. But my favorite of all the local places is Coffeehouse NW. I feel at home there.
View Reader Survey 2012: Best Coffeehouse in Portland in a larger map